October 9, 2017Target Healthy Eating
4 or 5 fresh apples
4 containers of Tofutti (soy cream cheese)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
7 Tablespoons sugar (fine grains)
5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Zest of 1/2 fresh lemon
2 teaspoons fresh lemon
6 large eggs
15 graham crackers (2 and 1/2 inches x 5 inches) or 8 ounces
3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 stick butter, soft and cut into pieces
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Do the crust first
1. Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor. Process until they are almost fine crumbs. Add dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Process until mixture clumps together like damp sand.
2. With the paper the butter stick was wrapped in, oil a large pie dish.
3. With your fingers, press the graham cracker mixture evenly into the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch pie dish and refrigerate 30 minutes while preparing filling.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. If your food processor is small and you can't do all the filling at once in it, don't worry, simply do each step, then remove the contents from processor into a large bowl and continue with the next step, until all ingredients have gone through the processor. Then mix all ingredients in the large bowl, very well.
3. Peel skin and core 3 apples and puree in food processor until smooth
4. Add Tofutti and process until smooth.
5. Add superfine sugar, and with motor running, add eggs one at a time.
6. Add lemon or lime juice, and process until blended.
7. Cut and core (leave skin on) the other 2 apples. Then on a cutting board, chop these apples into small dice-shaped pieces and set aside.
8. Wait until crust has been in fridge for 30 minutes.
9. Scrape all the filling out of food processor (or out of the large bowl) and into the pie dish with crust.
10. Now, with your hands or a spoon, sprinkle the cut up apple pieces with skin on, over the top of the cheese cake.
11. Put pie dish into the oven.
12. Bake for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, until filling is set and wobbles slightly in the center (it will continue to cook as it cools). After baking for 1 hour and 30 minutes, check to be sure cheese cake isn't too dark around the edge.
13. When cheese cake is done and wiggling a little in center, remove and allow it to do its thing, while cooling down completely.
14. When cool, refrigerate overnight. Then serve the next day.
From Our Table to Yours