This is a delicious recipe, if I do say so myself. It could be served as a light meal by itself or presented as a beautiful veggie side dish served with fish, seafood, poultry and lamb. You can make this recipe with or without a wild mushroom sauce. It's shown above without the sauce. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC As you can see, I experimented quite a lot, until I felt it was ready for readers to try. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Once I served the Cauliflower Cake with Wild Mushroom Sauce as the entree with a crisp garden salad. It was gone by the end of the meal. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Here you can see how moist this cake is. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Luscious as an appetizer. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC BTW, once when there were 2 servings left-over, we warmed up the pieces and served with eggs, bagels and coffee. Mmmmm ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Warm and wonderful, just out of the oven. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Ingredients
1 onion, well-chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, well-chopped
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 cups almond flour
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, ground with 3 anchovy fillets = paste
10 more fresh garlic cloves, sliced very thin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon curry
2 pinches chili flakes
1 pinch pepper
1 or 2 large cauliflower heads, cleaned, then broken into florets
1/2 teaspoon baking power
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons ricotta
6 or 7 fresh figs, run under cold water, dry with paper towel. Cut in half. Bake in a tin, next to the cauliflower cake
Bunch green grapes, wash, pat dry, drain. Pick off the stems and bake with the figs.
Easy to find ingredients. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350-370 degrees, depending on your oven.
2. Do all chopping, slicing, grating etc. now.
3. Boil or steam the cauliflower for 20 minutes, or until soft. Drain well, dry with paper towel and set aside.
4. In a skillet, add extra virgin olive oil and cook the garlic/anchovy paste, onions and extra garlic. Let it cool down and set aside.
5. Get out a medium mixing bowl and add the eggs. Beat the eggs and add the spices. Then, beat in the ricotta.
6. Using a medium or large sieve, held over the mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly sift, into the egg mixture, stirring all the time.
7. Add the parmesan into the dough and combine well.
8. Add contents of the skillet, into the dough and combine well.
9. Add the cooked cauliflower into the dough and combine well.
10. Add the chopped parsley into the dough and combine well.
11. Butter a spring-form baking pan.
12. With a spatula, scrape out all the dough from the mixing bowl, into the baking pan.
13. Place pan into a 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes.
14. Put the figs and green grapes into a buttered tin and bake along with the cauliflower cake. Serve as garnish with the cake.
Wash the cauliflower, then break into florets. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Boil or steam the cauliflower florets, drain, pat dry with paper towel, set aside. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Chop onion and extra garlic at the same time. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC. Sometimes, if I do not feel like getting out the mortar & pestle, I simply use a fork to mash the anchovy fillets with the chopped or sliced garlic, right in a skillet with olive oil. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Grating the parmesan. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC In a large bowl, add the eggs. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Whisk the eggs. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add all the spices to the beaten egg mixture, then the sour cream. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Get out a sieve. Add the flour, the baking powder and the baking soda, to the sieve and sift into the egg mixture. Mix the flour into the egg mixture with a large fork. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add the parmesan to the dough and mix it together with a large fork. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add the contents from the skillet and stir well. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add the cooked cauliflower to the dough and stir to combine. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add the chopped parsley to the cauliflower dough and combine very well. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Use a spring-form baking pan and butter it generously. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Use a spatula to get all the dough out of the mixing bowl and into the baking pan. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Spring-form pan goes into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC After baking 45 minutes, the cauliflower cake comes out looking like this. Let it cool down for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges, remove the sides of the pan and serve on a platter, with or without a wild mushroom sauce. The cake is soft, moist and delicious. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Here is a piece of cauliflower cake with wild mushroom sauce and a baked fig. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Easy Wild Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
1 pound mixture of 4 different mushrooms (i.e.: white button, baby bella, shitake, cremini), cleaned with damp paper towel then, thinly sliced & chopped a little
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon, low sodium soy sauce
1 Onion, very well-chopped
2 garlic cloves, ground with 2 anchovy fillets = paste
6 to 10 more garlic cloves, sliced.
1 Tablespoon flour (any flour you have. I used almond flour)
1 cup broth (chicken, beef, veggie - I used chicken broth. For a deeper flavor, use beef broth)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 pinches black pepper
2 pinches chili flakes
1/2 cup white wine or sherry or brandy (I used sherry)
3/4 cup heavy cream
Garnish: small handful fresh chives, well chopped
1. Get all cleaning, chopping, slicing, measuring, done, so that all you need to do next, is the cooking.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the soy sauce. Mix the two together. An interesting chemical reaction takes place and a new umami flavor is the result.
3. Add the anchovy/garlic paste to the skillet and cook for a few minutes. You can also just add the anchovies and the sliced garlic to the skillet and mash them in the skillet. Make the paste right there in the skillet. When possible, I like to use anchovies instead of salt. Stir this paste into the butter.
4. Add the olive oil, all the onions and garlic to the skillet. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add all the chopped and sliced mushrooms. Stir into the mixture and continue cooking.
Chopping the mushrooms. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Chopping onions and garlic. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC About to start mashing (with a fork), anchovy fillets with fresh chopped or sliced garlic cloves. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Cooking together, the anchovy/garlic paste, plus chopped onions and more chopped garlic. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Paste with onions and extra garlic has turned light brown, is soft and is done. Next, add all the chopped or sliced mushrooms and stir with the onion mixture. Next, add flour and stir in well. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Measure out your broth and your white wine, sherry or brandy. Never use cooking wine. Always, use a wine you like to drink. Add to the skillet and stir in. Next, add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, sour cream, 2 pinches black pepper, 2 pinches chili flakes. Stir in well. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Add the heavy cream to the mushroom mixture. Simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes, to let some of the liquid cook down. When the sauce reaches the thickness of gravy, the mushroom sauce is done. Serve over the cauliflower cake, nice and hot. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC One time, I made this recipe and served as an appetizer; it was perfect! ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Once I baked the cauliflower cake in a rectangle shaped baking pan. It looked as you see, above. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC When the Cauliflower Cake with Mushroom Sauce was served as the entree with a crisp salad, this was the appetizer - salmon tartare with avocado and a few salmon eggs as garnish. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Here is the dessert. Simple fresh fruit and vanilla yogurt. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC Nicely chilled Pinot Grigio went well with each course. ©Joyce Hays, Target Health LLC
You can carry on, the torch of peace and brotherhood and simply live by the Golden Rule!
Bon Appetit! From Our Table to Yours Have a Great Week Everyone!