July 2, 2018Target Healthy Eating
1 pound Italian Sausage, casing removed
1 Onion, minced
2 scallions, chopped
3 anchovy fillets + 3 fresh cloves garlic: mash in mortar & pestle
10 fresh garlic cloves, chopped (not pressed)
2 heaping Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 heaping Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 heaping Tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon curry
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 pinch black pepper
12 Large White Button Mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped, then remove the gills, by scraping with a teaspoon or smaller, from inside the mushroom cap
1 Tablespoon extra virgin Olive Oil
1 container Tofutti
1/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated by hand
1/4 cup buffalo mozzarella, grated or shredded by hand
1/4 cup fresh parmesan grated by hand
1/4 cup sharp cheddar, grated by hand
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped well
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put Tofutti on counter and let it reach room temperature
3. In a mortar & pestle, grind the anchovies with 3 garlic cloves
4. Do all the chopping, slicing, grating, scraping
5. In a small bowl, put all 4 cheeses, mix together well and set aside.
6. Chop the sausage.
7. In a large (oven proof) skillet, with handles on both sides, cook the sausage on medium-high heat. When the sausage is nearly cooked through, add the diced mushroom stems, garlic, jalapeno, scallions and onion and continue to cook until they soften a bit.
8. Next, to the pan, add all herbs (fresh and dried), all spices and seasoning and stir until all ingredients are well combined. Cook for 1 or 2 more minutes.
9. Transfer the mixture from the pan to a large bowl. Add the Tofutti and stir it into the mixture, while it's still warm.
10. Don't wash out the pan, but with a spatula, scrape all little bits into the bowl.
11. Next, stuff each mushroom with the mixture, as high as it will go without falling over or crumbling. Put the stuffed mushrooms back into the bowl.
12. Just before you pop the pan back into the oven with the stuffed mushrooms, take fingers filled with the grated cheeses and put on top of each stuffed mushroom. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve nice and warm, with a vegetarian entr?e like spinach pie, serve with pasta, chicken, fish, seafood or serve as an appetizer.
Have a great week everyone!