May 1, 2017Target Healthy Eating
2.5 lbs. spinach, chopped (you can substitute frozen; thaw it well)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 large onions, diced
2 bunches scallions (use white and (tender only) green part
6 fresh garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (buy the whole nutmeg and freshly grate it)
Pinch black pepper or to taste
Pinch chili flakes
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 lb. ricotta or cottage cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Wash and drain the chopped spinach at least 3 times, to be sure you get all of the sand and grit out. Nothing ruins a spinach recipe more, than biting down on sand. The last time this happened, I had to throw the whole baked dish, out, after serving it. If using frozen spinach, thaw completely and squeeze out excess water. Spinach should be dry.
3. Chop everything that needs chopping or slicing.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Saute the onions, garlic and scallions until tender.
5. Add the spinach, parsley, and dill and cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the spinach is wilted and heated through. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
6. If using frozen spinach, you will want to cook until excess moisture evaporates. Spinach mixture should be on the dry side.
7. Remove from heat and set the spinach aside to cool.
8. In a large mixing bowl, combine the feta cheese, eggs, and ricotta cheese. Add the cooled spinach mixture and mix until combined.
9. Oil a deep bake dish, with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and pour the spinach mixture in. Use a spatula to scrape all the spinach out of the mixing bowl.
10. Bake the spinach pie section for 40 minutes, then remove from oven to cool for about 10 minutes.
11. While the spinach is baking, make the topping.
4 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups plain Greek yogurt (FAGE)
Pinch black pepper
1 cup creamy goat cheese or freshly grated kashkaval cheese, which I get from FreshDirect
1. Add all of the above ingredients to a bowl and whisk with a fork or whisk tool.
2. After the spinach pie has been baked and has cooled down, with a spatula, scrape all of the topping from the bowl, pouring it onto the spinach pie. Do this slowly.
3. Smooth the topping so it's evenly distributed over the spinach.
4. Bake in the same 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. Keep your eye on the oven to be sure the topping doesn't burn.
5. Serve nice and warm