3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (or a little over 1/4 cup each)
1 and 3/4 cups of condensed milk
1 pint box
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature or even softer)
11 to 16 ounces of your favorite plain cookie or biscotti, like graham crackers, amaretti, vanilla wafers
Cool Whip or Ready Whip or Plain Old Fashioned Whipped Cream. I always use ready made cool whip.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Take butter out of fridge to soften
3. With a little bit of butter, grease a 9 or 9.5 round pie dish
4. In food processor, put the cookies and the very soft butter and process until the butter is evenly distributed with the crumbs
5. With a spatula, scoop out all of the mixture and put it into the pie dish.
6. With your fingers, press the cookie/butter mixture evenly over the bottom of the pie dish and push some up along the sides of the pie dish, as far up as you can without taking away from the bottom. It doesn't matter if the crumb mixture reaches the edge of the pie dish.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust is a slightly darker color than before. Remove from oven.
8. While crust is baking, make the filling. Take out a mixing bowl and add the egg yolks, whisk them while adding the condensed milk. Continue whisking and add the zest and the freshly squeezed citrus juice.
9. Finally, add the (wash & dry first) blueberries and stir into custard to distribute evenly.
10. Pour the filling into the baked crust. It doesn't matter if the crust is still a little warm.
11. Bake another 15 minutes. Jiggle the pie to see if the filling moves at all. You want the custard to be firm so if not, bake a few more minutes. Keep your eye on the pie.
12. Let pie cool completely before you put it in the fridge. Keep in fridge for 5 hours. Then serve with your choice of topping
Before dessert, dinner with guests was: crunchy broccoli with blue cheese dressing, nuts, and some little appetizers I'm experimenting with and will share soon. We had red and white wine.
The entree was one of my brother in law's favorite, a chicken tagine and curried rice.