1/2 loaf Italian bread, crust removed, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
1 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons curry
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons dry oregano
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground veal
2 large eggs, scrambled
1/2 pound turkey sausage, chopped well
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup fresh parsley, well chopped
2 teaspoons dry thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, well chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup butter
1 cup dry white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Soak the bread in the milk for 10 minutes.
3. Do all cutting, chopping, slicing
4. Scramble the 2 eggs
5. Sautee the onions, garlic, jalapeno and scallions until soft
6. In a large mixing bowl, and with your hands, mix the beef, veal, chopped turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, Parmesan, parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice.
7. Add all herbs, seasonings, spices and mix well again. Get all of the vigorous mixing done before you add the bread. Add the bread last.
8. Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk, then chop the wad of wet bread and add it to the meat. Mix gently until well combined, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
9. Transfer the contents of the bowl, onto a board and shape into a loaf. Make the loaf about 10 to 11 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
10. Use A large baking pan. It doesn't have to be a rectangle shape. a large round white pan will work okay.11. Heat the oil and butter in the white pan, on the stove, over medium-high heat. Add the meatloaf and sear without moving it until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Carefully slide a spatula under the meatloaf, then gently use another spatula to help turn it and brown the second side, again without moving it for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, temporarily.
12. Make the gravy: Return the skillet to the stove and raise the heat. Add the wine and deglaze the pan. Deglaze simply means, stirring in the wine with a wooden spoon, while scraping up the browned bits stuck to the sides and bottom of the pan, which will make a simple sauce. Return the meatloaf to the baking pan, pour the sauce over the loaf and then put into the middle of the oven, basting occasionally with the pan juices, about 25 minutes.
Transfer the meatloaf to a platter and let stand, tented with foil, 10 minutes. Slice, pour the pan juices over the top and serve.