October 1, 2018Target Healthy Eating
1 pound of medium size mushrooms (cremini, white, bella)
Directions for Mushrooms
Ingredients For Stuffing
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined by fish monger
3 cloves garlic, mashed in mortar & pestle with 3 anchovy fillets
1 pound ground tempeh, meat substitute (or veal, or beef, or pork)
1 egg, beaten in a small bowl or measuring cup
1 Tablespoon chickpea flour
2 teaspoons, low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped scallion plus more for garnish
1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil or walnut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
Pinch black pepper to taste
Scallion chopped, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350, or 375, depending on your oven
2. Into a food processor, put the shrimp, garlic and anchovy and pulse until just chopped. Don't make a paste or a puree, just very small pieces of shrimp.
3. With a spatula, scrape all of the shrimp garlic pieces into a large bowl.
4. Add the ground tempeh (or chopped meat of your choice) to bowl with shrimp and mix well.
5. To the large mixing bowl, add the beaten egg and with your hands, mix the egg well. Next add the soy sauce, scallion, cilantro, jalapeno, scraped out mushroom flesh, chopped stems and ginger; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In other words, add the rest of the ingredients, BUT NOT THE FLOUR. Mix all of these ingredients with your hands, until well combined.
6. Finally, add the Tablespoon of chickpea flour and again mix the flour well into the other ingredients.
7. Stuff the mushroom caps with a small teaspoon and bake on the same parchment lined baking sheet for 20 to 30 minutes.
8. Garnish with well chopped scallion and serve as an appetizer. This is delicious finger food.
Jules and I are very competitive Scrabble players. I beat him. Click on the link below to see what my secret weapon was.
PS. The next day he won.
Have a great week everyone!