January 21, 2019Target Healthy Eating
2 1/2 pounds red new potatoes (about 6 medium), unpeeled (DON'T PEEL) and cut into 1-inch cubes
25 fresh garlic cloves, sliced but not thin slices
3 heaping Tablespoons fresh (not dried) oregano, well chopped
Pinch salt (optional), I didn't use any salt
Pinch black pepper
Pinch chili flakes
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Scrub potatoes, LEAVE THE SKINS ON, then cut into (approx) 1 inch cubes.
3. Wash the fresh oregano, then chop it well.
4. Peel the 25 garlic cloves, then cut them into thick slices
5. In a large roasting pan, combine potato cubes, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil. Stir until potatoes are well-coated, and spread them evenly in pan.
6. Place in oven, and roast until golden brown and crispy, 40 minutes to an hour. (If the potatoes are crowded in the pan, they will take longer to crisp.) Give the potatoes a stir, every once in a while.
7. Remove potatoes and garlic from oven, and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with salt (optional) to taste, and serve immediately.
This veggie side dish is good with beef, poultry, fish, seafood. If you want to go veggie only, serve the roasted potatoes with a Caesar salad, or your own favorite crispy salad, and warm grain bread and/or rolls that you dip in the garlic-y olive oil from the potatoes. You are going to have a fantastic treat with this recipe. Be prepared to want only this dish, until it's quickly disappeared.
We started with some chilled Pouilly-Fuisse and individual spinach pies, I've been experimenting with. Then fried chicken with these roasted potatoes and a crisp salad. For dessert some Brooklyn Blackout Cake, left over from a dinner party.
From Our Table to Yours
Have a Great Week Everyone!