September 24, 2018Target Healthy Eating
1 jalapeno, seeded then chopped well
1 red onion, sliced (set aside 1/2 for topping)
1 Tablespoon capers (for topping)
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more if needed
25 garlic cloves, smashed
1 and 1/2 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 and 1/2 Tablespoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon curry
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 fillets anchovy ground in mortar & pestle with 3 garlic cloves, then set aside
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half (save a few for topping)
1 large white onion, sliced
2 scallions, chopped
3 shallots, sliced
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 small summer squash (yellow) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 or 3 large eggs
1 cup grated Gruy?re
1 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (FAGE) (not sure if we should use this or not)
1 pinch black pepper
1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (save a few for topping)
3 small plum tomatoes, sliced
Zest of 1 fresh lemon
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons sliced Moroccan pitted black olives or other black pitted olives (save a few slices for topping)
1. Heat oven 375 to 400 degrees.
2. Do all your chopping, slicing, grinding, cutting
3. In a bowl add the olive oil, 12 of the garlic cloves, stir together and add the eggplant cubes. Cover each cube with the oil mixture and with a slotted spoon, spread the eggplant and the 12 cloves garlic, out on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
4. To the bowl with remaining oil, add the cherry tomatoes, onion slices, shallots, 13 garlic cloves, all zucchini, all yellow squash, plum tomatoes. Cover all veggies carefully with the oil. Then with a slotted spoon, remove all veggies, including the 13 garlic cloves and place on a second baking sheet.
5. Place the pans in the oven and roast until vegetables are browned, tossing every 10 minutes or so; about 35 minutes for onions, tomatoes and zucchini, and 45 minutes for eggplant. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. In a small bowl, beat eggs until well mixed, then, while whisking add the ground anchovies & garlic, the chopped jalapeno and combine these ingredients very well, so there are no lumpy pieces of anchovy.
7. Next, add the beaten egg mixture to the large bowl with olive oil and combine everything very well.
8. Next, add slowly to the large bowl with oil/egg mixture, while whisking, all the seasoning, spices, herbs. Be sure all ingredients are very well incorporated.
9. To the large bowl, very slowly, fold in both cheeses, and be sure the cheese is well combined, but no fast whisking. Do this folding in slow motion.
10. In your largest baking dish, with a spatula, scrape all the roasted veggies from both baking sheets, into the baking dish. Add lemon zest, and juice. Add most of the black olives, capers. Stir these veggies together, so well combined.
11. Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies.
12. Arrange a design of plum tomato slices on top, a few red onion rings and scatter with olives and capers.
13. Bake until filling is lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.
14. Just before serving, sprinkle some chopped basil leaves on top.
Have a great week everyone!