October 8, 2018Target Healthy Eating
Zest of 1 fresh lemon
4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Zest of 1 fresh orange
4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of 1 fresh lime
4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
4 Tablespoons honey
1/2 cup cream sherry
1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
1 bay leaf
1 pinch chili flakes
1 pinch black pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
8 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
3 cups sliced carrots (1/4-inch thick)
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
25 fresh garlic cloves, sliced
2 cups sliced dates
3 mangos cut in cubes
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, well chopped
2/3 cup fresh parsley, well chopped
2 scallions, chopped (for roast)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (for garnish)
1/2 cup pistachio nuts, toasted, then chopped, for garnish
1. Get all of your squeezing, slicing, chopping, grinding, etc. done first.
2. Zest of one lemon
3. Zest of one orange
4. Zest of one lime
5. Quarter the lemon, lime and the orange lengthwise, removing any seeds. Thinly slice crosswise into small wedges Reserve slices.
6. In a saucepan, whisk together lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, oil, mustard, honey, salt, bay leaf, chili flakes and black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
7. In a very large bowl, add the honey mixture. Next, add carrots, onion, garlic slices, chopped scallions, dates, thyme, curry, flax seeds, cream sherry, chicken stock or broth, orange and lemon slices, cilantro. Stir this mixture several times.
8. Add chicken thighs to the bowl with sauce, stir sauce over the chicken several times. Cover and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
9. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
10. Line a large roasting dish with parchment to make cleaning easier, later.
11. Transfer all ingredients, including all of the marinade, to a large roasting dish that can go from oven to table. Chicken should be skin side up. Roast until chicken is browned and cooked through, about 30 to 40 for thighs.
12. While chicken is roasting, make saffron jasmine rice, with curry, golden raisins, and toasted pine nuts
13. When the chicken is done, give the sauce in the pan a stir; if the sauce looks too dry add 2 to 3 Tablespoons chicken stock or broth or white wine. Add the parsley and scallions and stir into the sauce. If you want the sauce thicker, mix some chickpea flour into several Tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt, and add to the sauce, mixing the flour very well into the rest of the sauce.
14. Continue roasting the carrots until they are tender, about 7 to 12 minutes longer.
15. Serve the chicken and saffron rice with sauce spooned over.
16. Sprinkle the chicken with the toasted, chopped pistachio nuts.
Have a great week everyone!