13 slices of sour dough bread, crust removed, cold water to cover
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 fresh garlic clove, sliced
1 onion, roughly chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 large lemon
1 cup orange salmon roe
1 pinch chili flakes
1. Place bread in a bowl, cover with water and let sit until the bread is well soaked, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain water from the bowl and squeeze all of the excess water from the bread. Pour water out of bowl. With your hands, squeeze bread while still in bowl, to get more water out. Finally, place all the bread in a clean kitchen towel (not paper towel) and squeeze some more until more water is out of the bread.
2. While bread is soaking, get out a small skillet, turn heat to medium, add some of the olive oil, then the onion, garlic and chili flakes. Saut? until the onion and garlic are soft and golden.
3. You need all of the olive oil in the skillet, and the chili flakes, so use a spatula to scrape everything out of the skillet and into a food processor.
4. To the food processor, add the rest of the olive oil, using a spatula to scrape the rest out of the measuring cup.
5. Slowly add the bread, while pulsing, the zest, and the lemon juice. Process until you get a very smooth consistency.
6. Finally, add the fish roe and continue to pulse until all the ingredients are well combined and smooth.
7. Use your spatula to scrape every little bit of sauce, out of the food processor and into a small bowl. Set aside on the kitchen table, for use later.