January 23, 2017Target Healthy Eating
It’s not every day that we rave about a salad; however, this warm curry creation is worth trying. It’s extremely easy to make, so no time wasted. Marinating overnight, does a lot of the work for you.
Give it a try; you won’t be disappointed. Add some warm bread and/or rolls, a chilled glass of wine and enjoy with whomever you share this salad. One evening, along with this warm salad, and chilled wine, we had hummus and a new kind of sourdough flat cracker (11 calories each). We were satisfied and happy. Oh, and Happy New Year everybody!
1 large cauliflower head, washed, dried, chopped into bite size pieces
1 fresh lime, juiced
Zest of 1 lime
10 fresh garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 teaspoon curry (more if you want spicier)
Pinch black pepper
Pinch chili flakes
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 avocados, diced
2 stalks scallions, chopped up to half the white section. Save some for garnish
Just the right herbs and spices, not many, and amazingly?. You have a tasty warm salad to start your meal, or fine alone for lunch or low calorie dinner. Warm crunchy bread or rolls dipped in extra virgin olive oil, a chilled white wine and you’re all set.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Get all your chopping, squeezing, cutting, slicing done, except for the avocados. Cut them the next day, just before serving the warm salad.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add cauliflower, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, cilantro, cumin, chili flakes, salt and pepper and 1 chopped scallion. Mix to combine, cover and let it marinate overnight.
4. Transfer cauliflower into a very lightly oiled (extra virgin olive oil) baking dish, (or no oil at all) using a slotted spoon. Keep as much of the marinade in the bowl (the garlic and cilantro, etc.) as you can.
5. Bake the cauliflower for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Add the grated cheddar cheese stir with cauliflower and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
6. While cauliflower is baking, check the bowl and taste any marinade that’s left, to determine if you want to add something more. Consider adding a little more fresh lime juice or more curry, pepper, or chili flakes, etc.
7. When cheese has melted, remove baking dish.
8. Now, to the bowl with dressing, add a little more well chopped cilantro. Cut into cubes the two ripe avocados and add to bowl. Stir the dressing well, so that all ingredients are well combined.
9. To the baking dish with warm cauliflower, scrape all of the dressing out of the bowl and over the cauliflower. Toss everything together. Garnish with extra chopped scallion. Serve warm immediately.
Let us know if you tried it.
From Our Table to Yours!